THE PEN SHOP of SYDNEY
For nearly 80 years this family business has continued striving to live up to its aim… “doing one thing well”.
Our expertise developed, starting with Alfred Wolf, who was Australia’s first manufacturer of fountain pens – The Dasi Pen (1938 – 1976).
- The Dasi Pen came with a lifetime warranty and in the 60s and 70s, became known as The Shorthand Pen of choice in Australia and New Zealand.
During the war, Alfred manufactured pens in his garage in Bronte, Sydney.
- Brand new pens manufactured in the afternoon, would be taken into our first shop in Market Street in Sydney, where they would sell like hot cakes! (pens were a luxury hard to come by in these times)
- By the afternoon, when the stock was sold, Alfred would return home and manufacture more pens for eager customers the following day.
- Occasionally there were hiccups, when ships carrying the pens were sunk, (casualties of the war), parts might be delayed.
In the 1970s, Alfred’s son, Charles – took the company down the path of importing, wholesaling, retailing and exporting well known Brands such as LAMY, Diplomat, Waldmann and many others over the years.
- A victim of the 1976 Strand Arcade Fire, the shop closed briefly before opening its Flagship store in King Street, Sydney.
- None of this would have been possible, without the commitment of Charles’ wife, Maureen, still very much involved in the financial and administrative aspects of the company today.
In the 1990s, Charles’ daughter, Deb – joined the company and introduced a number of “new-look” stores, introducing Australia’s first Montblanc Boutique in our flagship store in King Street. She later opened our O’Connell Street store.
In 2011, the advent of online retailing, together with the regeneration of the City of Sydney and corresponding increases in retail rents, meant we once more, moved with the times – and moved to online retailing.
In 2019, we are proud to bring you our first interactive e-commerce site.
We hope you enjoy perusing at your leisure, and we look forward to providing you with the uniquely Pen Shop of Sydney experience, you have known, for over 80 years.